Just as you make a turn in your brand new car, you hear a loud bang behind you. When you look back, you see that someone hit your car but claims you were on the wrong. Now it's your word against theirs, and it's going to take a while for the police and insurance company to sort it out. You can avoid such incidents when you install state of the art HD dash cams on your vehicle.
The ideal HD dash cams can easily mount on your windshield or at the rear of your vehicle. They can capture high-quality images and videos that help you resolve disputes that may arise while you are on the road. These cameras are also GPS enabled, capable of tracking speeds and location.
What to Consider when Picking HD Dash Cams
To ensure that you install the best HD dash cams on your vehicle consider the price tag, brand, ease of use, storage space and other functional features.
If you are shopping on a budget, consider HD dash cams that offer fewer features but still do the necessary work. You can use a price range to make your search fast and straightforward.
As your dash cam captures images or records videos, it must have some storage space for the files. If a dash cam does not have sufficient internal storage space, ensure that it is compatible with microSD cards with large storage capacity.
Before you settle on any dash cam, ascertain that it features a trustworthy brand name. That will guarantee you get top quality products and services.
Ease of use
The last thing you want is to buy a dash cam that is too complicated for you to use. Picking a product with a user-friendly interface and straightforward controls is key to enjoying the benefits of such a device.
How We Reviewed the Best HD Dash Cams
To identify the best HD dash cams, we rely on customer reviews. The ability of a dash cam to provide a clear view of the road ahead and behind is another issue taken into consideration. Other factors that play a role include alert systems, automatic recording during emergencies, and connectivity through Wi-Fi systems.
Our Top 10 HD Dash Cams
There are a lot of HD dash cams for you to choose from. However, the following stand out as being affordable, reliable, and easy to use. These HD dash cams are in no particular order.
Garmin Dash Cam 55
The Garmin dash cam 55 features a 3.7-megapixel camera capable of capturing 1440p of picture frames. That makes it possible for you to get high-resolution images even during the night. It integrates forward collision and lane departure warnings that ensure you are always safe on the roads.
Additionally, the camera gives alerts regarding red light cameras and speed cameras nearby. You can start or stop recording videos through a voice control feature giving you the freedom to focus on your driving while capturing any incidents which are saved to your hard drive. This dash cam is available on Amazon at a price range of $150 to $250 and a customer rating of 5 out of 5 stars.
- Extremely small GPS enabled dash cam, inconspicuous when magnetically mounted on windshield
- High quality 3. 7 megapixel camera with 1440P video capture; works even in low light conditions
- Forward collision and lane departure warnings plus alerts for nearby red light cameras and speed cameras
- Voice control allows you to start/stop recording, take a still picture or start/stop the travel apse photo capture Feature
- Notice: Some jurisdictions regulate or prohibit use of this device. It is your responsibility to know and comply with applicable laws and rights to privacy in jurisdictions where you plan to use this device
Thinkware F770 Full HD 1080p Dash Cam with Built-in WiFi and GPS
This particular dash cam features a 2.19MP Sony Exmor CMOS sensor capable of capturing quality images of up to 1080 megapixels. The dash cam has a built-in GPS antenna that embeds speed, time, and location data to the video and you can display it on a PC viewer.
This device also has speed, and red light camera alerts making it possible for you to stay safe on the roads. Its super night vision allows you to capture high-quality videos in dimly lit areas. The cam is Wi-Fi enabled meaning you can pair it with your Android or iOS device for video and picture syncing. This dash cam is available on Amazon at a price range of $400 to $500 and a customer rating of 4 out of 5 stars.
- 2.19MP Sony Exmor CMOS Sensor with 140-degree viewing angle
- Super Night Vision and Time Lapse Recording for impressive performance in Parking Surveillance Mode
- Built-in Wi-Fi with mobile app viewer allows you to playback recordings, and change device settings from your compatible iOS or Android smartphone
- Includes Thinkware 32GB UHS-I microSD card and SD card adapter. Sensor : 3-Axis Accelerometer G-Sensor (3D, ±3G)
- Optional accessories: TWA-F770R Full HD 1080p rear view camera and TWA-SH hardwiring cable to enable Parking Surveillance Mode
BlackVue DR650S-2CH 32G Dash Cam
The BlackVue DR650S-2CH 32G dash cam features a 2MP CMOS sensor and 129-degree lens with the ability to capture images of up to 1080p. A smaller camera unit at the rear captures images of up to 720p. The device makes use of incident detection technology making it possible for it to capture extraordinary happenings automatically.
This dash cam can pair with devices such as smartphones, tablets, and laptops. Additionally, its Wi-Fi capability means you can watch live videos captured by the camera while you are away from your vehicle. Its built-in GPS allows you to monitor the vehicle’s location and speed at all times. The dash cam is available on Amazon at a price range of $300 to $450 and a customer rating of 4 out of 5 stars.
- DR650S-HD & REARVIEW CAMERA(2CH), 32GB SD Card included
- 2 megapixel CMOS sensor, 129 degree angle of view, Built-in microphone, High-Capacity Memory Card Support (up to 128GB)
- Various Recording Modes, Motion Detection in Parking Mode Recording, 360 rotation cylinder in sleek design, Full HD label
- Universal File Format: MP4, Video Playback on various devices, BlackVue App and Software(for PC), MyWay Viewer
- BlackVue-Over-the-Cloud capable! Built-in GPS and G-sensor, Internal Emergency battery, Voice Guide, 3-color LEDs, Video out, Resolved Heat Issue
Mio Technology MiVue 698 Dual 1080p DashCam
This particular dash cam has an extra-wide 150-degree lens that captures high-quality images. Its front camera captures images of up to 2304 x 1296 at 30 fps. The rear camera is capable of capturing videos of up to 1080p. Its built-in GPS records various aspects of your driving including speed, location, longitude, and latitude.
The dash cam’s screen goes off when it detects movement meaning you will be able to focus on the road instead of looking at the screen. Once the screen goes off, an audio prompt takes over letting you know about upcoming speed traps. The device also comes with a built-in Wi-Fi making it easy for you to share images and videos to your smartphone or other compatible devices. The cam is on Amazon at a price range of $300 to $500 and no customer rating yet.
- Dash cam with rear view camera included - your eyewitness on front and backside, for optimal safety on the road
- Front camera: Extreme HD recording - 2304 x 1296 at 30 fps - with the latest H.264 technology for high quality videos at a smaller file|
- Rear camera: 1080p Full HD recording at 30 fps - with the latest H.264 technology for high quality videos at a smaller file size|
- Safety camera warnings - free safety camera data with monthly updates for the lifetime of your device|
- GPS tracking - automatically records your driving information, including speed, altitude, longitude, latitude and heading|
Z-EDGE S4 Dual Dash Cam
The Z-EDGE S4 Dual features a front and rear camera making it possible for you to have a better view of the area around your vehicle. It comes with a built-in 600mAh battery that enables you to get about 30 minutes of uninterrupted recording without power input. A highly sensitive SONY image sensor guarantees excellent low light compensation for both the rear and front meaning you can get quality images even in dim light.
This dash cam also features a 4.0-inch IPS display screen with PiP display which is wide enough for you to view vivid images. Also included is a 32GB memory card that gives you plenty of storage space for videos and pictures. This dash cam is available on Amazon at a price range of $50 to $150 and a customer rating of 4 out of 5 stars.
- YOUR EXPERT WITNESS: Best-in-class dual lens dash camera with simultaneous recording front and rear in Full HD - stunning 4.0-inch IPS display screen with PiP display - sticks directly to your windshield for optimal field-of-view and super easy installation - fully adjustable tilt up and down - quick release front camera mount - replacement 3M adhesive mount included in-pack
- DUAL SUPER HD RECORDING: Never miss a license plate in Full HD 1920x1080P at 30FPS - front and rear ultrawide 150-degree viewing angle captures more of the road around you - built-in 600mAh battery enables 30mins recording without power input - record in stunning Wide Quad HD 2560x1440P at 30FPS with rear camera disconnected - take photos in 12-Megapixels
- 1ST CLASS NIGHT VISION: Highly sensitive SONY image sensor guarantees superior low light compensation for both rear and front - wide dynamic range (WDR) technology compensates for light/dark spots and balances exposure - six glass lenses reduce glare and deliver superior video quality you need whilst driving at night
- AUTOMATIC SAFEGUARDS: Records automatically with vehicle ignition - switches off automatically with ignition off - energy saving LCD screen off timer - loop recording feature for efficient storage management - manual and automatic video protection from deletion - built-in G-sensor/accelerometer triggers crash vibration recording - one button audio recording on/off - parking mode watchdog for 24/7 surveillance of your vehicle
- BUY FROM US: 32GB Kingston SD memory card inside every pack - supports TF/micro SD cards up to 128GB - 19.6-feet USB cable for easy routing inside your vehicle's interior - set and forget installation - reliable performance in extreme hot and cold conditions - dual port USB car adapter included - 30 days money back guarantee - 18 months warranty - lifetime support
TaoTronics Car DVR Dash Cam
The TaoTronics car DVR dash cam features a 2.7-inch LCD which is large enough to give a vivid view of the area around your vehicle. It can continuously record the road ahead in 2560 x 1080 at 30fps.
The cam’s 3-axis G-sensor can detect sudden accelerations or collisions and consequently trigger an automatic footage protection system. This system stores footage in 30-minute segments. Once the storage is full, it automatically deletes previous files. The cam is available on Amazon at a price range of $50 to $150 and a customer rating of 4.1 out of 5 stars.
- HD Quality: Continuously records the road ahead in 2560 x 1080, 30fps ultra-wide with world's leading AmbarellaA7LA50 image sensor and a wide 2. 7-in LCD display
- Enhanced night vision: 160° ultra-wide Angle monitors 5 lanes comfortably while F2. 0 six-glass lens with infrared optical filter and HDR capture high resolution video sin both bright or low-light conditions
- Automatic emergency recording: 3-axis g-sensor senses sudden accelerations and collisions and automatically protects footage surrounding the incident
- Continuous Loop Recording: Footage is stored in 3 minute segments, and previous files are deleted automatically when storage is full (NOTE: SD CARD NOT INCLUDED. Support Class 10 Micro SD Card 16GB~64GB. Lower than 16GB/higher than 64GB is not suitable.
- Unattended vehicle protection: parking mode with 370mAh built-in battery allows immediate recording when g-sensor is triggered even if your car is turned off for an extended time
VAVA Dash Cam with Sony IMX291 Sensor
This VAVA dash cam features an advanced SONY STARVIS Series IMX291 CMOS sensor paired with 6 glass lenses and an infrared lens which ensure that you can record of capture high-quality images of up to 1080p. It has a 155-degree wide-angle lens capable of capturing five lanes.
This product has a mobile app that makes it possible for you to share videos and pictures with friends and insurance companies without having to take out its microSD card. A GPS tracking system ensures that you are always aware of the location of your vehicle. This dash cam is available on Amazon at a price range of $100 to $250 and a customer rating of 4 out of 5 stars.
- [POWERFUL VAVA DASH CAM APP] Full-featured VAVA dash cam mobile app enables live viewing, real-time photo & video sharing on social media, or direct media transfer of evidence to police & insurance companies right from your phone.
- Snapshot photos & videos, GPS tracking data, & travel journals can be accessible in real-time via this powerful app.
- [SUPERIOR NIGHT VISION & IN CLASS 1080P FULL HD @60FPS] Premium Sony IMX291 Starves sensor and Night Vision technology deliver superior recording performance, i. e. capturing clear license plate details - day or night.
- 1980 x 1080P HD resolution, at industry-leading 60fps rate, makes it easy to obtain sharp, color-accurate images, even in low-light environment, eliminating the need for an auxiliary light source. F2. 2 large aperture lens can capture 4 lanes of traffic.
- [HANDS-FREE SNAPSHOT BUTTON & 360 SWIVEL VIEW]: Snapshot button enables you to capture the beautiful scenery or the expected moments on the road. It can capture a snapshot photo or record a 20 second video, at the convenience of pressing the button.
YI 2.7 Inch Screen Full HD 1080P60 165 Wide Angle Dashboard Camera
This YI dash cam has a 2.7 inch TFT LCD widescreen capable of displaying full HD images. It comes with an intuitive YI dash cam app that lets you adjust settings as you deem fit. This device offers a 165-degree ultra wide-angle to minimize blind spots while ensuring that you get a clear view of up to 3 lanes.
Like most of the other HD dash cams on this list, the YI dash cam utilizes G-sensor technology that records events leading up to and after a collision. This dash cam is available on Amazon at a price range of $40 to $150 and a customer rating of 4.1 out of 5 stars.
- Features 165 ultra wide-angle to reduce blind spots and obtain full 3 lane coverage. F1.8 apertures (the largest in the industry) and 3.0mx3.0m high sensitivity image sensors guarantee excellent night vision
- High Definition Image and First-class Night vision - 1920x1080p 60fps high speed video recording captures fast moving scenes and creates high resolution images in high speed.
- Emergency recording feature - Enabled by G-sensor technology, the camera automatically saves footage in the events leading up to a collision and immediately after
- Built - in 2.7" TFT LCD widescreen and intuitive YI Dash Cam App - The interface features large buttons and user-friendly icons for quick recognition and intuitive operation. Power core: 11.5feet length with Micro USB Connector
- The ADAS (Advanced Driver Assistance Systems) - the most advanced and optimized visual recognition algorithms ensure safe driving by providing real time Lane Departure
Upgraded Version Pruveeo F5 FHD 1080P Dash Cam with WiFi
The Pruveeo F5 dash cam features an unobtrusive design that allows you to mount it on the windshield quickly. It has a built-in Wi-Fi making it possible for you to share videos and images to your devices. It comes with a 1.5 inch LCD screen capable of displaying images of up to 1080p.
Its built-in 320mAH battery ensures that you can capture just about everything while on the road or when parked. This dash cam is available on Amazon at a price range of $30 to $150 and a customer rating of 4.2 out of 5 stars.
- NOTE. We have canceled the WiFi feature. The F5 dash cam in Amazon warehouse doesn't support the WiFi feature now.
- [DISCREET DESIGN] Signature low profile design allows the dash cam to be a well hidden witness to the road ahead.
- [170 DEGREE ULTRA WIDE ANGLE LENS] The 6 layers glass lens opens up to capture a sweeping view of your surroundings.
- [TEMPERATURE RESISTANCE] High-Quality Li-polymer 3.7V 320mAh battery can bear high/low temperature.
- [FULL HD 1080P RECORDING] Captures beautiful Full HD 1080p video 30fps. This item has sold more than 42,000 units on Amazon.
WheelWitness HD PRO Premium Dash Cam with GPS
The WheelWitness HD PRO features an Ambarella A7LA50 processor and a 170-degree super wide angle lens capable of relaying quality images of up to 2304 x 1296p resolution. This dash cam makes use of G-sensor technology that is capable of automatically detecting and recording events leading to and after an accident.
Its GPS module ensures that you can keep track of your vehicle’s speed, location, and coordinates. The device automatically stores footage but will delete older files when the storage is full. The cam is available on Amazon at a price range of $90 to $300 and a customer rating of 4.3 out of 5 stars.
- Picture Perfect High Resolution Video - Equipped with an exceptional Ambarella A7LA50 processor and a 170-degree super wide angle lens, this dash cam is the perfect witness, capturing everything in front of you in ultra-clear Super HD 2k, in crisp 2304x1296P resolution.
- WDR/HDR Technology - WDR enables the camera to pick up greater detail in dark shadows, ensuring that the highlights don't get blown-out. HDR allows the dash cam to process more light on the sensor and produce a more vibrant image. Combining multiple exposures, you will always enjoy an optimal night vision.
- G-sensor and GPS - The G-Sensor is capable of automatically detecting accidents and saving all of the relevant footage. The GPS module will capture the speed, location and coordinates of your car.
- Loop Recording - This HD PRO model will start recording automatically and when the microSD card is full, it will automatically delete the oldest file and replace it with the new, allowing for fully automatic and continuous playback.
- Easy Installation - Insert your microSD card, mount the suction cup and plug in the power, your dash cam will start recording automatically. Comes with 2 sticky mounts, 1 suction cup, and 12 ft power cable.
Now You Can Make a Pick From the Best HD Dash Cams
With a variety of HD dash cams to choose from, you can be sure to settle on something that will suit your needs. If you are on a budget, it may be prudent to go for products such as the Pruveeo F5 FHD or the Z-EDGE S4 dual dash cam. However, if you have the money and want a powerful dash cam on your vehicle, you might as well opt for products such as the Mio Technology MiVue 698 or the BlackVue DR650S-2CH dash cam.